Monday, June 3, 2013

Artist research: Nicolette Benjamin Black

  Black uses waste materials in her work, as she re imagines these discarded materials in new ways in her images, integrating them into natural landscapes. She expresses that useless items can be creatively used in artwork for example, teabags or electric cables. Black successfully blends figurative with abstract. Colour is sometimes used and introduced with the neutral backgrounds. This leads to a sense of holistic order and balance to the overall composition. 
 Black has really inspired me with her work, I like the idea that she uses "useless" materials in order to make fantastic pieces, such as the ones below. The image below has been made from recycled teabags  Through using objects such as that and painting over them, gives them a great amount of texture.




 Here is one of the copies I have created of Black's work 



I have created this piece by cutting up various materials such as, cardboard and felt in order to create different textures. After I had stuck down all of the pieces I we over with a mixture of red, white and brown paint, in order to give it a rustic, old look.Due to Blacks work being created from teabags I found it hard to complete it using the same method. Although the method is different I still made this piece from recycled materials, that have been made into something a lot more creative.


No comments:

Post a Comment